Evaluation of the intoxication patients were admitted in Emergency Unit O.M.U. Tip Fakultesi acil servisine basvuran intoksikasyon hastalarinin degerlendirilmesi

Altintop L., Sunbul M., Ketenci M., Pekbay A.

Ondokuz Mayis Universitesi Tip Dergisi, vol.13, no.3, pp.227-232, 1996 (Scopus) identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 13 Issue: 3
  • Publication Date: 1996
  • Journal Name: Ondokuz Mayis Universitesi Tip Dergisi
  • Journal Indexes: Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.227-232
  • Keywords: intoxication, toxic substance
  • Ondokuz Mayıs University Affiliated: Yes


In this study, 72 intoxication patients who admitted in Emergency Unit of Ondokaz Mayis University Medical Faculty were evaluated. 25 of 72 patients (34.7%) were male and the rest (65.3%) were female with average age 30.1 ± 1.65 years. Drugs (47.2%), organic pesticide (41.7%), food (4.2%) and others (6.9%) were found in major etiologic reason of intoxication. Suicide was major reason in 59 of 72 patients (81.9%) and the other reasons of intoxication was found in 11 (15.3%) and 2 (2.8%) patients, by accidently and unknown reason, respectively. When 6 patients (8.3%) were discharged from Emergency Unit, 66 patients (91.7%) were admitted intensive care unit and 11 (15.3%) of them were exicuted. In this study, organic pesticide was found (41.7%) one of the major etiologic reason of intoxication and it was responsible from most of the death (72.7%).